Winner of the 2012 Society of Camp Directors Writing Award
The Cabin Path is a leadership book that will inspire camp counsellors and young leaders to think more consciously about the everyday leadership lessons camp presents them. While the book takes place in a summer camp setting, it is really a life leadership book and is a great resource for all readers with relevant real-life takeaways.
If you’ve had your own summer camp experience, you’ll feel like you’re back at camp reading The Cabin Path. If you’ve never been to camp before, the book highlights the positive impacts of the camp experience and will leave you wanting to go to camp next summer!
Click one of the buttons below to buy your copy!
For bulk orders, please contact Jay directly.
~ Ontario Camps Association
It is always good to read about positive camp stories. Camp has the ability to influence lives, which Jay has illustrated through his own personal experiences. Jay has put great effort into creating this book, which is an excellent resource for all who take part in camp!
- Heather Anderson, Camp Huronda Director for 25 years
Many of us go to camp to have fun and make friends. Jay has captured the unexpected learning that also occurs through our camp experiences which influences our thoughts and actions throughout the rest of our lives. A very enjoyable and insightful book for individuals of all ages and occupations. It’s easy to read, warm, and a witty resource that one can turn to again and again!
- Scott Arizala, CEO/Founder of TheCampCounselor.com, Author of "S'more Than Camp"
The Cabin Path is a must read for all camp professionals and seasonal staff. Jay writes in a personal and smooth style that leads you from one experience to the next pinpointing the learning along the way. This is the book that can help us all take professional development to the next level.
~ Robert H Kayser, Retired Executive, Medtronic Inc.
Value-based leadership is a critical success factor in life – both personally and in your career. The practical lessons learned along “The Cabin Path” provide you with a valuable head start as a professional leader.
~ Denis SJ Shackel, Professor of Communications, Richard Ivey School of Business and Author of Award Winning Book “Five Seconds At A Time”
Jay’s brilliant writing style, his captivating stories and illuminating insights make this a must-read for all who recognize the importance of leadership and choose to make a difference!
Who want to make their next summer at camp even better than the last by thinking about leadership in a new way.
Such as student council members and student club executives looking to increase their leadership and teamwork skills.
Who may never have had their own camp experience and are wondering if camp is the right decision for their child.
Who may be looking to reconnect with their past in camping or who are just looking for a good read!
Teenagers do not devote headspace to classifying experiences as developmental, leadership, or otherwise. They live in the moment, even the keen ones, and just take life on “as it happens”.
The Cabin Path is an instrumental, easy to read, and inspiring book about the innumerable leadership lessons that summer camp teaches. It is the first book written for counsellors and program staff that covers the entire camp experience. It will help counsellors think more consciously about the experiences camp presents so they can be more prepared to capitalize on the opportunities and challenges camp offers.
• Introduction and the camp environment
• The counsellor and camp staff
• Support, community and appreciation
• Tactics and everyday responsibilities
• Bonus Chapter
Camp staff are a group of young adults possessing copious amounts of energy, ideas, enthusiasm, positivity, and moral/personal strength. Their job for the summer is to manage the experience of hundreds of thousands of campers across the country.
• Help you kick-start your next summer and give you a new perspective on your role as camp staff
• Walk you through a number of real life camp scenarios that will help shape your growth and development
• Strive to give you some “ah-ha!” moments that you can learn from through the telling of my experiences
• Be a great addition to book collections for leaders like you!
• Will give you a good idea of the fun, challenges, learning, and growth that takes place at summer camps
• Offers you insight into the numerous leadership lessons and gifts camp gives those who work there
• Talks regularly about teamwork and working with others – key skills for your future experience in school and professional life
• Gives true testimony to the camp experience and proves that working at a camp is a “real job”
• May stimulate you through the enjoyable and easy to read stories to come up with new and creative ideas
• Teaches you about working with and managing others – key skills for your leadership roles
• Will give you confidence to take on challenges and tactically use new approaches to solve problems
• Will teach you about the ins and outs of operations – running a camp and running a student government may not be that different after all
Sending a child to camp is often more difficult for parents than it is for the camper who is leaving home for the first time. Parents need the comfort of knowing that their child will be well cared for in a safe environment. This book can lighten the tension and offer insight to parents who are making the decision to send their children to camp.
• Are unsure if camp is the right decision for their child
• Have not had a camp experience of their own
• Have a child who has worked at camp before and wants them to get “a real job” in the city next summer
• Are curious about what goes on at camp
• Don’t know the values camp teaches
• Want their child to be independent and build character